|1st Baron Capell, Elizabeth (née Morison), and children c.1639|
(Left to right: Arthur, Edward, Lord Capell, Lady Capell, Henry (on lap), Elizabeth, Mary)
|Cassiobury House in the 1880s. It was demolished in 1927.|
ELIZABETH MORISON, b. Cassiobury House, Watford, Hertfordshire, bap. 12 Mar. 1610 St Mary Church, Watford; d. 26 Jan. 1661, bur. 6 Feb. 1661 St Cecilia Church, Little Hadham, Hertfordshire, only dau. of Sir Charles Morison, 1st Baronet of Cassiobury (1587-1628, descended from Edward III - see Generation A9 below) and Hon. Mary Hicks (1589-1639); m. 28 Nov. 1627 St Mary Church, Watford, ARTHUR CAPELL, 1st Baron Capell of Hadham, b. 20 Feb. 1604 Hadham Hall, Hertfordshire, bap. 11 Mar. 1604 St Cecilia Church, Little Hadham; d. (executed) 9 Mar. 1649 Westminster Hall, London, bur. 20 Mar. 1649 St Cecilia Church, Little Hadham, est son of Sir Henry Capell, heir of Hadham Hall (1578-1622, descended from Edward III) and his 1st wife Theodosia Montagu (1584-1614, descended from Edward I), and had issue, four sons and six daughters.
Issue of Elizabeth (Morison) and 1st Baron Capell:
1) ELIZABETH CAPELL, bap. 28 Oct. 1629 St Cecilia Church, Little Hadham; d. in infancy c.1630.
|Mary (née Capell), Duchess of|
3) ARTHUR CAPELL, 1st Earl of Essex, bap. 28 Jan. 1632 St Cecilia Church, Little Hadham; d. 13 July 1683 Tower of London, bur. St Mary Church, Watford; m. 19 May 1653 St Mary Church, Petworth, Sussex, Lady ELIZABETH PERCY, b. 1 Dec. 1636 Petworth House, Sussex; d. 5 Feb. 1718, bur. St Mary Church, Watford, yst. dau. of Algernon Percy, 10th Earl of Northumberland (1602-1668, descended from Edward III) and his 1st wife Lady Anne Cecil (1612-1637, descended from Edward III), and had issue, six sons and two daughters.
4) Hon. ELIZABETH CAPELL, bap. 4 June 1633 St Cecilia Church, Little Hadham; d. 30 July 1678, bur. 6 Aug. 1678 All Saints Church, Wing, Buckinghamshire; m. 21 June 1651 All Saints Church, Kings Langley, Hertfordshire, as his 1st wife, CHARLES DORMER, 2nd Earl of Carnarvon, b. 25 Oct. 1632 London, bap. 26 Nov. 1632 St Benet Pauls Wharf, London; d. 29 Nov. 1709 Ascott House, Wing, bur. 18 Dec. 1709 All Saints Church, Wing, son of Robert Dormer, 1st Earl of Carnarvon (1610-1643, descended from Edward III) and Lady Anne Sophia Herbert (c.1610-1643, descended from Edward III), and had issue, one son and three daughters.
5) Hon. Sir EDWARD CAPELL of Little Hadham, b. c.1634; d. unm., bur. 25 Nov. 1657 St Cecilia Church, Little Hadham.
6) THEODOSIA CAPELL, bap. 17 Jan. 1636 St Cecilia Church, Little Hadham; d. in infancy 29 May 1637.
|1st Baron Capell of Tewkesbury|
7) HENRY CAPELL, 1st Baron Capell of Tewkesbury, bap. 6 Mar. 1638 St Cecilia Church, Little Hadham; d.s.p. 30 May 1696 Dublin Castle, Ireland, bur. 8 Sept. 1696 St Cecilia Church, Little Hadham; m. (settlement 16 Feb.) 1659, DOROTHY BENNET, bap. 16 Nov. 1642 St Andrew Holborn, London; d.s.p. 7 June 1721 Kew House, Surrey, bur. 15 June 1721 St Anne Church, Kew, Surrey, yr. dau. of Richard Bennet of Kew House (1596-1658) and his 2nd wife Mary Leman.
8) Hon. THEODOSIA CAPELL, bap. 3 Jan. 1640 St Cecilia Church, Little Hadham; bur. there 22 Mar. 1662; m. 26 Jan. 1661, as his 1st wife, HENRY HYDE, 2nd Earl of Clarendon, b. 2 June 1638 London, bap. 11 June 1638 St Margaret Church, Westminster; d. 31 Oct. 1709 London, bur. 4 Nov. 1709 Westminster Abbey, est son of Edward Hyde, 1st Earl of Clarendon (1609-1674) and his 2nd wife Frances Aylesbury (1617-1667, descended from Edward I), and had issue, one son.
|Hon. Anne (née Capell) Strangways|
10) Hon. ANNE CAPELL, b. c.1645; d.s.p. 3 Dec. 1675; m. 4 July 1672 St Mary Church, Richmond, Surrey, as his 1st wife, JOHN STRANGWAYS of Melbury Hall, Melbury Sampford, Dorset, M.P. Bridport 1661-76, b. 15 Oct. 1636; d.s.p. 6 Apr. 1676, bur. St Mary Church, Melbury Sampford, son of Giles Strangways of Melbury Hall (1615-1675, descended from Edward III) and Susanna Edwards.
Through her father, Elizabeth (née Morison), Lady Capell has three lines of descent from Edward III, as below.
Edward III had two sons A1 & C1 (see below)
|1st Duke of Lancaster - see|
A3) Lady Eleanor Neville (1403-1472) m. 2) Henry Percy, 2nd Earl of Northumberland (see C4 below), and had
A4) Lady Katherine Percy (1423-1493) m. Edmund Grey, 1st Earl of Kent (see B4 below), and had
A5) George Grey, 2nd Earl of Kent (c.1443-1503) m. 2) Lady Katherine Herbert (c.1468-by 1503), and had
A6) Lady Anne Grey (c.1492-1546) m. John, 1st Baron Hussey of Sleaford (1465-1537), and had
A7) BRIDGET HUSSEY, b. c.1526; d. 12 Jan. 1601, bur. St Mary Church, Watford; m. 1st (lic. 13 Nov.) 1546, Sir RICHARD MORISON of Cassiobury House, b. c.1510; d. 20 Mar. 1556 Strasbourg, Alsace, France, 2nd son of Thomas Morison of Sandon, Hertfordshire and -- Merry, and had
|Morison of Cassiobury Coat of Arms|
A9) Sir CHARLES MORISON, 1st Baronet of Cassiobury, b. 18 Apr. 1587 Cassiobury House, bap. 1 May 1587 St Mary Church, Watford; d. 20 Aug. 1628, bur. St Mary Church, Watford; m. 4 Dec. 1606 St Mary Church, Leyton, Essex, as her 1st husband[*1], Hon. MARY HICKS, bap. 11 Feb. 1589 St Lawrence Jewry, London; d. June 1643, bur. St Mary Church, Watford, yr dau. of Baptist Hicks, 1st Viscount Campden (1551-1629) and Elizabeth May (d. 1643), and had
A10) Elizabeth Morison (1610-1661-see details above) m. Arthur, 1st Baron Capell of Hadham
[*1] Dame Mary (Hicks) Morison m. 2nd 9 Apr. 1629 St Lawrence Jewry, London, Sir John Cooper, 1st Baronet of Rockbourne (d. 23 Mar. 1631). She m. 3rd 11 Dec. 1632 Sir Edward Alford of Offington House (1592-1653).
B2) Lady Elizabeth Plantagenet of Lancaster, by 1st wife (1364-1425) m. 2) John Holland, 1st Duke of Exeter (c.1358-1400, descended from Edward I), and had
|Elizabeth, Duchess of Exeter|
- see Generation B2
B4) Edmund Grey, 1st Earl of Kent (1416-1490) m. Lady Katherine Percy (see A4 above)
C1) Lionel of Antwerp, 1st Duke of Clarence (1338-1368) m. 1) Lady Elizabeth de Burgh (1332-1363, descended from Edward I), and had
C3) Lady Elizabeth Mortimer (1371-1417) m. 1) Sir Henry 'Hotspur' Percy (1364-1403), and had
C4) Henry Percy, 2nd Earl of Northumberland (1394-1455) m. Lady Eleanor Neville (see A3 above)
The next post will cover the Edward III descent for another ancestor of George Villiers: Sir Thomas Gower, 2nd Baronet of Stittenham.