|Lord George Murray of Strowan|
The most thorough pedigree of these 19th-century Murray-Aynsleys remains the 'Murray-Aynsley of Hall Court, co Hants' one in Visitation of England and Wales Volume 7 (1893).
Maud's mother was Emily Elizabeth Hand who married in 1848 in India, Major-General George Herbert Murray-Aynsley. I can find very little on Emily's father Robert Hand of Cumberland Terrace, London, and Richmond, Surrey - not even a death date. He married 2 August 1817 at St John Church, Great Stanmore, Middlesex, Anne Learmonth, who was apparently the daughter of Alexander Learmonth of Great Stanmore. But again, I can't find much at all on her family. Going back one generation, we have Maud's paternal grandmother Emma (née Peach), wife of John Murray-Aynsley of Underdown. Emma's parents were Samuel Peach Cruger [surname later changed to Peach] of Tockington House, in Gloucestershire, and Clarissa née Partridge.
|Tockington House, the seat of the Peach family in the 19th century, is today a boarding school|
As for the ancestry of wives of earlier generations of Murrays, it seems best to begin with Amelia Murray, heiress of Strowan, the wife of the 2nd Duke of Atholl's younger brother Lord George Murray, by whom she was mother of John, 3rd Duke of Atholl. Amelia descends from Elizabeth Drummond, a granddaughter of James IV whom I hadn't yet encountered and was happy to enter into my database Royal Descent. Following is the 13-generation descent for Maud Murray-Aynsley from James IV thru Amelia Murray of Strowan.
|James IV of Scotland|
James IV of Scotland by a mistress Margaret Drummond (d. 1501), had a dau
1) Lady Margaret Stewart, illegit. (1497-aft.1562) m. 2) her 1st cousin Sir John Drummond, 2nd of Innerpeffray Castle (d. aft.1554), and had
2) Elizabeth Drummond (d. by 1562) m. Malcolm Drummond, 5th Laird of Bordland (d. 1588), and had
3) Maurice Drummond of Auchtermuthill (d. aft.1593) m. Agnes Drummond of Balloch, and had
4) Annabella Drummond m. James Murray, Heir of Strowan (d. bef.1630), and had
5) Alexander Murray, 7th Laird of Strowan (d. 1654) m. Margaret Drummond of Balloch (descended from James II), and had
6) John Murray, 8th Laird of Strowan (d. 1725) m. Margaret Dow, and had
7) Amelia Murray of Strowan (d. 1749) m. James Murray of Glencarse (1661-1712), and had
8) AMELIA MURRAY, b. c.1710; d. 29 Mar. 1766 Invercauld Castle, Aberdeenshire, Scotland; m. 3 June 1728, Lord GEORGE MURRAY of Strowan, Perthshire, b. 4 Oct. 1694 Huntingtower, Perthshire; d. 11 Oct. 1760 Medemblik, The Netherlands, 5th son of John Murray, 1st Duke of Atholl (1660-1724, descended from Henry VII) and his 1st wife Lady Katherine Hamilton (1662-1707, descended from James IV), and had
10) Ven. Lord CHARLES MURRAY-AYNSLEY of Little Harle Tower, Kirkwhelpington, Northumberland, Dean of Bocking, Essex 1803-08, b. 21 Apr. 1771 Westminster, London, bap. 6 May 1771 St George Hanover Square, London; d. 5 May 1808 The Deanery, Bocking, bur. 9 May 1808 St Mary Church, Bocking; m. 18 June 1793 Reading, Berkshire, ALICIA MITFORD, b. 16 May 1768 Morpeth, Northumberland, bap. 12 Aug. 1768 St James Church, Morpeth; d. 13 June 1813 Bocking, bur. 18 June 1813 St Mary Church, Bocking, dau. of George Mitford of Morpeth (1726-1815) and Mary Threlkeld (1741-1810, descended from Edward III), and had
|Maj-Gen. Herbert Murray-|
Aynsley - see Generation 12
12) Maj-Gen. (GEORGE) HERBERT MURRAY-AYNSLEY of North Kensington, b. 4 Sept. 1826 Tockington House, bap. 25 Sept. 1826 St Helen Church, Olveston; d. 10 Dec. 1887 North Kensington, London, bur. 14 Dec. 1887 Kensal Green Cemetery, London; m. 12 Feb. 1848 Ballard, Karnataka, India, EMILY ELIZABETH HAND, b. 11 Oct. 1829 Marylebone, London, bap. 2 Mar. 1830 St Marylebone Parish Church; d. 18 Aug. 1894 Bayswater, London, bur. 22 Aug. 1894 Kensal Green Cemetery, dau. of Robert Hand of Richmond, Surrey and Anne Learmonth, and had
13) MAUD MURRAY-AYNSLEY, b. 18 Mar. 1860 Bangalore, Karnataka, India, bap. there 13 June 1860; d. 3 Mar. 1898 Jalandhar, Punjab, India, bur. there 5 Mar. 1898; m. 1st 24 Dec. 1881 Bangalore, as his 1st wife, Col. CHARLES MAXIMILIAN THOMAS WESTERN of Finchampstead, Berkshire, Royal Horse Artillery, b. 2 Sept. 1855 Bath, Somersetshire; d. 1 Sept. 1913 Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag, Norway, son of Charles Maximilian Thomas Western of Bath (1824-1894, descended from Edward III) and Harriet Balfour (1835-1915, descended from James V)
|The Bazaar in Jalandhar, Punjab in the late 19th-century|