|Charlotte (née Jenkinson), Countess of Verulam |
Verulam's wife is an addition to Ruvigny's Isabel of Essex, the next volume in his series, published in 1908. She was Lady Charlotte Jenkinson, born 1783, the only daughter of the politician Charles Jenkinson, created earl of Liverpool in 1796 when Charlotte was age 13. Her half-brother Robert, the 2nd Earl of Liverpool, was Prime Minister from 1812 to 1827, under both George III and George IV. In 1807, Lady Charlotte married the fellow Tory politician James Walter, 4th Viscount Grimston. Eight years later, he was created Earl of Verulam, with Charlotte as his countess. She survived him over seventeen years, and died in 1863 [not 1862, as in BP 2003 Edition, p. 2092, sub Jenkinson].
|St Michael Church, St Albans, Hertfordshire|
Though Charlotte, Countess of Verulam, has several lines of descent from Edward III, through both of her parents, the 11-generation one from Isabel [Plantagenet], Countess of Essex, is through her father the 1st Earl of Liverpool.
Edward III had a second surviving son,
|Isabel (née Plantagenet),|
Countess of Essex - see Generation 5
2) Lady Philippa Plantagenet of Clarence (1355-1377) m. Edmund Mortimer, 3rd Earl of March (1352-1381), and had
3) Roger Mortimer, 4th Earl of March (1374-1398) m. Lady Alianore Holland (1370-1405, descended from Edward I), and had
4) Lady Anne Mortimer (1388-1411) m. Richard of York, 3rd Earl of Cambridge (1385-1415, descended from Edward III), and had
6) William, Lord Bourchier (c.1428-1477) m. 2) Lady Anne Woodville (c.1448-1489), and had
7) Cecily Bourchier (c.1473-1493) m. John Devereux, 2nd Lord Ferrers of Chartley (1464-1501, descended from Edward I), and had
8) Walter Devereux, 1st Viscount Hereford (c.1491-1558) m. 2) Margaret Garneys (d. 1599), and had
|1st Earl of Liverpool -|
see Generation 15
10) Sir George Devereux of Sheldon Hall (c.1580-1666) m. Blanche Ridge (d. bef.1665), and had
11) George Devereux of Vaynor Park (d. 1682) m. Bridget Price (b. 1620, descended from Edward III), and had
12) Edward Devereux of Cefngwernfa House (d. 1686)[*1] m. Mary Saethon (descended from Edward III), and had
14) Amarantha Cornewall (1700-1785) m. Col. Charles Jenkinson of Burford Lawn Lodge (1693-1750), and had
15) Charles Jenkinson, 1st Earl of Liverpool (1729-1808) m. 2) Catherine Bishopp (1744-1827, descended from Edward III), and had
16) Lady Charlotte Jenkinson (1783-1863) m. James Walter Grimston, 1st Earl of Verulam
|Ruvigny's account of the Devereux of Vaynor Park siblings on p. 365 of his Essex volume|
|Vaynor Park, Montgomeryshire, Wales|
My next post will cover the remaining Edward III descents for Charlotte, Countess of Verulam.