|Entrance to Corby Castle, Cumberland|
1) Hon. Maria Archer, first wife of Henry Howard of Corby Castle (1757-1842).
2) Jane Dalston, wife of William Howard of Corby Castle (d. 1708)
3) Hon. Barbara Lowther, first wife of Thomas Howard of Corby Castle (1677-1740)
4) Eliza Minto Canning, wife of Philip Henry Howard of Corby Castle (1801-1883)
|Cecilia Dowdall (née Riggs) Howard|
[From the Howard-von Recum Collection
at the Library of Congress]
5) Alice Constable-Maxwell, wife of Philip John Canning Howard of Corby Castle (1853-1934)
6) Sir Henry Lawson, 3rd Baronet, first husband of Ursula Mary Howard of Corby Castle (1879-1960)
7) Lt-Col. Hugh Levin, second husband of Ursula Mary Howard of Corby Castle (1879-1960)
8) Mary Smith, third wife of Thomas Howard of Corby Castle (1677-1740)
9) Hon. Sevilla Erskine, first wife of Sir Henry Francis Howard of Munich (1809-1898)
10) Cecilia Dowdall Riggs, wife of Sir Henry Howard of the Strand (1843-1921)
11) Mary Allen Clagett, wife of George Howard of Washington, DC (1869-1919)
|John Hutchinson Aspinall|
|Aspinwall Office Building on the waterfront in Kochi, India|
Capt. Henry Edmund Howard of Wickham (1923-1999), the only son of Henry Mowbray Howard and Norah Watson above, married in Glasgow in 1945, Sheila Brown (born 15 July 1923; died 14 August 2007). Her father was Colin McNab Heys Brown, but other than the fact that he served in the British Army in World War I, I can find no further information on him: no birthdate, death date, nor the identity of his spouse.
|Kenneth Charles Harold Rowe|
The next Howard spouse however - Edward Bruce Williams, the husband of Catherine Jane Howard, only daughter of Henry Edmund Howard and Sheila Brown - does have traceable lines going back to the Stewart kings of Scotland, and to a first cousin of novelist Jane Austen, among others. I'll explore his ancestry in the next few posts.